Below are the reviews of the books that I've read as part of my 50 book challenge from 08-09 and of the book's I'm currently reading as part of the 09-10 challenge.
RSS

Wednesday 17 June 2009

Interview with Best Selling author Kitty Neale


A little while ago I was very lucky to be able to ask best selling author Kitty Neale a few questions, As I' sure you can appreciate she is very busy and I'd like to thank her for taking time out of her busy schedule to fit me in.

I'd also like to take this oppertunity to tell you all about lost and found which is due for release on the 23rd of july and is available to pre-order from amazon


How do you get started with writing your stories? as in, the development of the story, and inspiration for it for it?


I usually have an inkling of an idea, for instance a character and a problem they have. If possible I like to make my characters grow, to learn, to develope, or to find a way out of a diffucult situation.

When naming your characters, do you give any thought to the actual meaning of the names? or do you make the name fit the character or the character fit the name?

As my books are based in the 1950's or 1960's, I use names that are relevant to that period. When I see a character in my mind, I try to use a name that suits them.

Do you use your OWN experiences? or Do you start from a grain of truth or a fact and then go your own way from there from there

I have occasionaly loosly used some of my own experiences, or ones that over the years I have heard about. A chance conversation, someone talking about a problem can plant a seed.

Do you as writer yourself have a preferd author that you like to read and if so who?

I love so many authors that it's difficult to name one. I usually read thillers, and like most of the top authors in this catagory, for instance James Patterson as his books are page turners.

As a best selling author, what do you think to the alternative means or releasing a book like scott sigler (www.scottsigler.com) who releases his books a chapter at a time as a podcast/audiobook for online.

I have no problem with alternative ways of being published, but I should think that most full time authors who do not have alternative ways of making a living, wouldn't be unable to offer their works free of charge.

Do you have a set routine for writing where you sit down everyday and write, say 1000 words or do you prefer to wait and write when the mood strikes and the juices are flowing regardless of when that is?

With a contract to write two books a year, I work around 6 to 7 hours every day.

What advice would you give to people who feel that they've "run out of creativity" when writing?

Stop, don't force it. Try to put it out your mind for a while. Rest, relax and sleep on it. Most of all, don't panic.
What genre of books do you like to read? and do you limit yourself to only the genre that you write yourself?

I don't read my own genre as I don't want to unconciously take another author's ideas, so I read thrillers.

which out of all of your books did you enjoy writing the most?

I think my first, 'A Cuckoo in Candle Lane.' I had no idea that I could write and had so much to learn, but I found I was able to forget for a while the grief of losing my son by burying son myself in the life of the characters I had created.

Do you have any other word's of advice for anyone out there who would like to try and do what you make look so easy.

I think that everyone has a talent, somethign they are good at, but I didn't discover mine until I was in my mid fifties. If you feel you can write, then give it a try. I love writing, enjoy writing, and I think this is important. I don't think I could do it if I found it a chore.

Id like to thank Mrs Neale for this interview and I wish her the best of luck with her new book due out on the 23rd of july and is available to pre order here