Below are the reviews of the books that I've read as part of my 50 book challenge from 08-09 and of the book's I'm currently reading as part of the 09-10 challenge.
RSS

Wednesday 17 June 2009

Book 19 - The Seventh Daughter


Book number 19 is The Seventh Daughter by Ronnie Seagren, It is Published by Flying Pen Press and is available from both Flying pen press directly as well as amazon

Now without the aid of current social networking darling Twitter I simply wouldn't have known this book existed, And I cant help but feel that without it I would have been missing out.

Sometimes, when your sat reading, you do it with the TV on in the background or when other people are talking, you can carry on reading and following the story while holding a conversation or watching something on TV. Unlike some of the other books I've read (Railway children I'm looking at you) I couldn't hold a conversation or watch TV at the same time as I read this. Now admittedly you may not be like me and you may sit in a quite library, peacefully readin page by page, I dont I have the dog jumping on my knee when she gets jelous of the book I'm reading and she demands my attention.

I've said before in some other reviews how some books suck you in and take over, how you feel like your there in the room with them, and others seem to keep you at arms length. Well this is for me anyway one of the previous. I started reading its rather brilliant white pages, (they were that bright I had to compare them with another book to check if it was me or the book and it was the book they are VERY white -not really any reason im telling you this but it did make me notice how yellow some of the pages in another book were)

Now from what I understand this is the 1st book by Ronnie Seagren, and if you've read some of my other reviews you'll know I read more than my fair share of new authors first books, I like to follow not only the story they've held inside their head and refined before they type first word on the computer or even hit a letter on the typewriter (people other than me have them still... right?) but also their progression as they become comfortable with being the writer as they take you through the book.

I think its fair to say in the middle of the book I feel the author kind of lost her way just a little during the trek up the mountains and the story did struggle a little but it's worth persevering with as it picks back up and carries on even if it doesnt reach quite the same level it did in the first half / two 3rd's

OK lets face it to anyone who grew up in the 80's with adventure movies like Indiana Jones and Goonies knows they were great and why not adventure stories have been part of many of our life's since we read Enid Blyton stories as a kid, not to mention last years new Indiana Jones movie and the one that's rumoured to become Indiana Jones 5

Seventh Daughter is an Indiana Jones-style adventure story, Set mainly in Peru in 1937. It has all the classic conflicts that a good adventure yarn needs like the struggle between good and evil and the main character's struggle against her destiny, to make this a cracker of an adventure. including the possibly evil twin...

You follow the story is Gil, Who was born in the shadow if a solar eclipse. As the 7th Daughter of a 7th Daughter this bestows upon Gil a rare mystical status, which carries with it her destiny.

According to a destiny that she doesn't know if she has confidence in. She is to gain the power to stop a vision her grandmother had. In which the world is consumed in flames. Unsure if she believes in the mystical vision's of her grandmother. She does know she must try to reach her destiny to stop her grandmother’s vision of the world in flames from reaching fruition.

As she travels to Peru to the ruins of a hidden shrine called Killichaka -Bridge to the Moon
She hopes to gain the power and stop the vision. But there are others out there who want to stop her.

If you like Indiana Jones or not you'll more than likely enjoy this book, It's well written and engaging, which is just what i want from a good book