Below are the reviews of the books that I've read as part of my 50 book challenge from 08-09 and of the book's I'm currently reading as part of the 09-10 challenge.
RSS

Tuesday 30 June 2009

Book 21 - The Crucifix Killer



Book number 21 is The Crucifix Killer by Chris Carter. It's published by Simon and Schuster and the version I've read was an uncorrected proof and as yet is unreleased, however the book will be on sale in August and it is currently available though as a pre-order from amazon by following this link or you can pre-order it from play.com via this link


If you'd like to read a little more about Chris Carter, follow this link, to simon and schuster's uk site where there is plenty of infomation about this new and exciting author.


Personally I'm a big fan of thrillers/ crime thrillers. I don't mind if they're in TV series form like criminal minds or in book form like James Patterson's Alex Cross series, or in film form like mind hunters. So when I started reading this book I was comparing it with James Patterson and Karin Slaughter's books, and if i'm honest it stand's up well on its own.


If I were to compare this book to film or tv show, I'd say its like a combination of Criminal Minds and films like Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider. The reason I've compared this to tv shows and films is that to me this reads very much like a film, and I have to say I think it would make a cracking movie.


Through out this book you follow LA homicide detective Robert Hunter, who is assigned a new rookie partner -Garcia, who is newly assigned to the Robbery Homicide Department after the death of Robert's old partner and only cousin while they were on holiday following the conclusion of the crucifix serial killer case.


Garcia and Robert find themselves dragged back into the world of the crucifix killer. When the badly mutilated body of a young woman is found after an anonymous tip off.


When Robert gets to a small wooden shack, he finds Captain Bolter is already there waiting for him, not something that normally happens. Captain Bolter had kept the forensic's out while he waited to show Robert the way the killer had marked the victim on the back of the neck with the double crucifix. The mark the crucifix killer (the now executed multiple murderer) -had left on his victims, a mark that had never made it in to the papers or even been mentioned at the trial. They both knew they had either a copycat or the man executed for the original killings was innocent, even though he confessed and was found with forensic proof of the victims.


As you read along you'll notice it flows quite well at a fair pace. If anything the only thing I didn't follow was the passage of time, until it said the detectives had been working on the case for a few weeks it hadn't felt like it, to me it felt like they had only been on the case for a few days maybe a week at the most. Although as I said at the beginning it is subject to change as the copy I read was an uncorrected proof, so the time line maybe something that could be changed before it goes on sale.


If you decide to wait till it goes on sale or if you pre-order I would urge you to grab a copy personally I thought it was great, although if your like me and you sit out in the sun to read beware, I got a little engrossed in the book and accidentally lost track of time and got sunburned quite badly followed by a couple of days of peeling on my forehead, which isn't a good luck