Below are the reviews of the books that I've read as part of my 50 book challenge from 08-09 and of the book's I'm currently reading as part of the 09-10 challenge.
RSS

Monday 29 June 2009

Book 20 - Murder Most Fab


Book number 20 is Murder Most Fab by Julian Clary, it is published by Ebury Press and is available on both amazon and play.com

OK, so as you know I asked which of the two books you would rather I post the reviews of. Going by the replies I got on both Twitter and via email (I didn't know there was that many of you reading my ramblings lol) Murder Most Fab by Julian Clary won by a mile.

So... If you know what Julian Clary is like on TV you should have a pretty fair idea what he'd be like in book form, to be honest I bought this book on a whim and I'm glad I did.

Its a while since I read about the life of Johnny Debonair, but that wouldn't and hasn't stopped me from recommending it to friends. In parts it can be a little near the knuckle so I wouldn't tell you to give it to a child but your average teenager wouldn't bat an eyelid.

throughout this book even though it was the story of Johnny Debonair, I couldn't help but think it was another murderous incarnation of Julian Clary. Murder Most Fab is a dark comedy, a romance as well as the story of someone dealing with the stresses and strains of a family member with a fragile mental health.

One of the reviews on amazon for this book by Hambletta-Maud "hamble" I think sums it up very succinctly, although I have to disagree on the cover. Personally I think the cover makes sense with the content of the book. Light bright and not worrying too much about what people think which, Personally I would have said it matched not only the content but also its Author.

"plot: no real holes grammar: no noticeable mistakes prose: well written dialogue: believable the cover: looks dreadful - needs to be done again"

As I said further up in this isn't a book for kids, it has VERY adult theme's and while as I said your average teenager wouldn't bat an eye lid its not just the murders that could be inappropriate, the sometimes graphic description of his 'member' and its 'abilities'. I would say that there are others but to be honest you know what your getting when you pick up a book by Julian Clary, its hardly going to be The Golden Girls crossed with The Last of the Summer Wine

If you don't try to take it too seriously you'll love it, especially with a serial killing rent boy and his prostitute friend bumping people off on their root to stardom and becoming Mr Friday night

Both Julian Clary and his publisher are on Twitter and you can follow the both of them if you wish by going to twitter.com/julianclary and twitter.com/eburypublishing

If you enjoyed this book his new book is out now, called The Devil in Disguise and is also available from both amazon and play.com as well as rbooks -which I'm guessing is ebury publishing's own site