Below are the reviews of the books that I've read as part of my 50 book challenge from 08-09 and of the book's I'm currently reading as part of the 09-10 challenge.
RSS

Thursday 11 March 2010

The Lovely Bones – Alice Sebold

The Lovely Bones is by Alice Sebold and is available to buy from both amazon and play.com

Well, to begin with I bought this book because I saw the adverts for the movie on TV and I thought “Hmmm that looks alright” 

Before I carry on, I do want to say that I have the lovely bonesboth seen the movie and read the book. Although, when I watched the film I hadn’t finished reading the book. It must be said as usually happens with people I preferred the book to the movie.

Although unlike some of the film reviews I’ve read I personally think Peter Jackson did well with the movie even if some of the plot and storylines in the book were ignored, it didn’t detract from the overall story of the book.

Well, I’ve got to say that although I enjoyed the film I thought the book was much better. I wont spoil the book or the film but I will say that you should only read it, its not a bad book by any means.

Lovely_Bones_cover One question I’ve asked myself while I was reading it was, “Is it me or does it jump around?” That for me is the biggest flaw of the book at times the narrative jumps around by that I don’t mean it changes from person to person, what I mean is that one line your are hearing about the changes to Buckley (Susie’s little brother) and the next your reading about the gazebo in Susie’s own individual heaven with no warning.

I cant help but think that if i say much more I’ll either spoil the film or the book so this one is to be a short review. I’m going to condense the rest of the review as much as I can without giving anything away about the story in either the book or the film.

Book score out of 10…..8/10

Film score out of 10…..7/10

Did I enjoy the book? yes. Would I tell you to read it? yes. Did I enjoy the film? yes. Would I tell you to read it or to see it? yes.

The story in my opinion travels well from the printed page to the silver screen and like any good story it doesn’t matter how you consume it just as long as you do.